How are lasers used in dentistry?
Lasers are being used more and more to address certain soft tissue conditions. Examples of ways that lasers can be used to improve oral health include:
- Reshaping overgrown or irregular gums
- Reducing the pain and speeding up the healing process for certain mouth sores (including canker sores and cold sores)
- Treating certain oral infections
- Reducing the symptoms of gingivitis or periodontal disease
- Removal of benign soft tissue lesions
- To help return gums to proper form when restoring a tooth or implant
What are the benefits of treatment using a soft tissue laser?
When compared with traditional methods such as those using a scalpel, treatment with a soft tissue laser has the following advantages:
- Shorter healing time
- Less bleeding
- Antibacterial and anti-inflammatory effects
- Reduced pain during and after treatment
How can I find out more about dental laser therapy?
Dr. Jason Doublestein, Dr. Michael Wierenga, and Dr. Katelyn Trierweiler along with our dedicated staff here at 44 West Dental Professionals are happy to discuss if this treatment is right for you. Give us a call at (616) 530-2200 to set up a consultation today.